Sunday, July 8, 2012

Return to Civilian LIfe Helped by Open Mindset

My guest post at Military Success Network begins this way:

My mother saved the letters from September 1970 to May 1972 that I wrote home when my husband Mitch and I were stationed in Munich, Germany, with the U.S. Army. (We met at Michigan State University as undergrads where he was in R.O.T.C.)

When reading those letters, I am surprised by how much worrying I did about what would happen after Mitch served his active duty commitment. My fears centered on how we would be behind our friends who had not put their lives on hold – who had not left good jobs to serve and now needed to start back at square one.

While my worries are from many years ago, the same concerns exist today with military personnel and their families returning to civilian life.

The more I think about this transition, the more I realize a core value of military service may be hindering successful transition.

Read the rest of this guest post now.
___

Phyllis Zimbler Miller is the author of the novel MRS. LIEUTENANT and the co-author of the eBook technothriller LT. COMMANDER MOLLIE SANDERS. Phyllis is the co-founder of the marketing consulting company Miller Mosaic LLC, which works with clients to attract more business. Read her posts at the company's social media marketing blog.

No comments: