Monday, March 2, 2009

High School Students Want to Study with Jews in Uniform

I was so touched by the email that I got from high school student Shira Telushkin about wanting to participate with Jews in uniform for the Jewish holiday of Shavuot that I published Shira's email on the blog at OperationSupportJewsintheMilitary.com.

It's worth taking the time to read Shira's guest post to see what high school students can offer to do if motivated to support military personnel.

In my Feb. 15th Mrs. Lieutenant blog post Proposal to Add U.S. Military Unit to Elementary School Curriculum I proposed the following:

Teaching about the U.S. military and its branches today be part of 5th or 6th grade required curriculum throughout the U.S. -- just as learning U.S. history is a required school subject at some point in a student's school career.

Imagine if this proposal had been in effect when Shira Telushkin was in 5th or 6th grade so that she wouldn't have to write now "none of us has ever had serious exposure to the U.S. Army."

What would it take for my proposal to get serious consideration in the halls of national educational policy?

No comments: